Problems with bad solder connections, mostly in and around the tuner are very
common with several series of late model (e.g., CTC175/176/177 chassis)
RCA/GE/Proscan TVs. Ignoring these erratic and intermittent problems can lead
to serious damage including failure of the EEPROM and possibly other expensive
ICs. Therefore, it is essential to deal with the solder connections as soon
as these symptoms appear. The repairs are straightforward though perhaps
tedious. Thomson may reimburse for reasonable cost of repairs.
|NotTaR of Television Sets : Erratic problems on late model GE, RCA, ..
1994-2007, Samuel M. Goldwasser. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of this document in whole or in part is permitted if both of the following conditions are satisfied: 1. This notice is included in its entirety at the beginning. 2. There is no charge except to cover the costs of copying.
I may be contacted via the Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ (www.repairfaq.org) Email Links Page.
<< Erratic problems with old.. |
| Sylvania/Magnavox/Philips.. >>
Some of the common symptoms include:
- Random power cycling. It may come on in the middle of the night!
- Picture shifts or changes size vertically or horizontally.
- Picture turns to snow or shows other reception problems.
- Picture turns to random display of time or other data.
- Noisy or muted sound, volume buttons have no effect.
- Remote has no or unexpected effect.
See the document: RCA/GE TV CTC175-187+ Solder
Connection and EEPROM Problems for additional information on these
types problems including repair procedures and approaches to getting
coverage from Thomson Electronics.