NotTaR of Television Sets : What is this goop around some electrolyt..  
 Copyright © 1994-2007, Samuel M. Goldwasser. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of this document in whole or in part is permitted if both of the following conditions are satisfied: 1. This notice is included in its entirety at the beginning. 2. There is no charge except to cover the costs of copying. I may be contacted via the Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ (www.repairfaq.org) Email Links Page.

     << An informal history of X-.. |  Index  | What does the flyback (LO.. >>

What is this goop around some electrolytic capacitors and other components?

That goop is probably glue and generally harmless - it is there to hold down the components aganst vibration. I have heard of it sometimes decomposing and shorting stuff out but I doubt you have that problem.

Therefore, unless you find a bad cap in the focus or related circuit, we are still looking at a flyback problem.