NotTaR of Television Sets : Chattering yoke                         
 Copyright © 1994-2007, Samuel M. Goldwasser. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of this document in whole or in part is permitted if both of the following conditions are satisfied: 1. This notice is included in its entirety at the beginning. 2. There is no charge except to cover the costs of copying. I may be contacted via the Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ (www.repairfaq.org) Email Links Page.

              << Buzzing TV |  Index  | High pitched whine or squ.. >>

Chattering yoke

This is a special case of buzzing originating from the deflection yoke.

(From: John Del (ohger1@aol.com).)

I am assuming your talking about a NAP yoke made by Panasonic/Quasar also used by them as well. The vibration comess from the metal shunt inside the yoke which is used for "self convergence". The shunts were held by a mastic material that breaks down into a powdery substance.

Remove the yoke from the tube and bore a small hole in the plastic on both halves (top and bottom). These holes will be at the 12 and 6 positions, as the 3 and 9 will have windings visible. Fill the holes with white glue and let the glue settle in, rotating the yoke as it does. The glue will soak into the powdery material and harden it. You will have to do this several times until the glue oozes out near the clamp. Give it a full day to dry. This is better than paying $60 to $80 for the yoke.