NotTaR of Television Sets : Buzzing TV                              
 Copyright © 1994-2007, Samuel M. Goldwasser. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of this document in whole or in part is permitted if both of the following conditions are satisfied: 1. This notice is included in its entirety at the beginning. 2. There is no charge except to cover the costs of copying. I may be contacted via the Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ (www.repairfaq.org) Email Links Page.

             << Weak or distorted audio |  Index  | Chattering yoke >>

Buzzing TV

Do you actually mean buzz - low frequency as in 60 Hz? Or, do you really mean high pitched whine. If the latter, see the section: High pitched whine or squeal from TV with no other symptoms. Or, it may be a combination of both effects. Is the buzz through the speaker or from the inside of the set?

BTW, when I got my new super-duper RCA Colortrak in 1980, it had a similar annoying buzz - even had a repair guy out who behaved as though this was to be expected. I did get used to it and am not even aware of it today - and still use that set.

Additional comments:

(From: Karen (kclark9835@aol.com).)

Also for some audio buzz problems especially in the older units don't overlook the possibility of a misaligned trap. or a touch-up of the sound discriminator may prove helpful.

(From: Alan (algba@ix.netcom.com).)

If the buzz is coming from the speaker suspect a bad saw filter in the if circuit (very common).

If it is coming from elsewhere in the set it could be the flyback transformer, line input choke, or most common on those sets - the deflection yoke. I have repaired many of these yoke by using a wooden shim and some silicone rubber. In the collar of the yoke just ahead of the lock down clamp, there are some metal strips under the plastic. These are magnet that are used for convergence correction at the top and bottom of the picture. If you disturb them too much it will throw off the convergence.

 <<Weak or distorted audio | ToC | Chattering yoke>>